Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Our little boy is on his way (officially)!

Today at my weekly appointment Dr. Cook found me dilated 1cm. Doug and I are so excited to have some evidence that we will not have to be induced. I took an un-official survey today of some pals and:
1. When it was discovered she was dilating, she delivered a week later. Never made it to her 38 week appointment.
2. She was 1 cm at about 37 wks and 5 days... then labored for 2 days.
3. Another was dilated 3 cm for 2 weeks before she went into labor.

So it looks like there are plenty of ways this can go...Doug and I will just remain diligent to watch for signs of labor. Doug really learned alot at the Bradley classes because Sunday night on the way home I was feeling some contractions (Braxton Hicks surely) and he asked all the appropriate questions...too cute.

It's funny how after left the appointment things ran through my head again and I realized this really is going to happen. When the doctor said "and you know how to reach me in an emergency" I didn't think much of it. My doctor does not like me to worry unnecessarily, so it was the first 'real' sign of impending labor he's given me...I guess you have to know my doctor's demeanor if you don't get my example. :o) Doug remembers him saying "well since you're dilating, we know we don't have to induce, so we can expect him in the next few weeks". It was reiterated to me that "he (the baby) will not be waiting till 40 weeks to come". Ahhh...so exciting yet a little nerve-wracking too (in a good way).

We've been playing with our new carseat in Doug's car since it'll likely be the one bringing me home. I keep telling myself I need to pack my bag and wash some of the babies clothes. We also went to tour some pediatric clinics and infant day-care centers today. So even if we're taking small steps, they're steps. I know we'll get in gear now after today's appointment. Enjoy the cartoon! Of course its very exaggerated.

No comments: