Sunday, January 15, 2012

Doug complete his first marathon!

Doug worked so hard training for this, officially since last summer! He didn't join any running groups (like I likely would have...at least for those long 20+ mile runs once a week) but did rely on montly calendars provided by a renound triathlon & marathon trainer--who we found out last month is also a chiropractor. Too bad we didn't enlist in those services too... Our good friend Amaris made this photo for Doug, another pal of hers (who was also running her first) and her sister Cristina who was running her 7th Houston Marathon and her 15th total!

Doug in high spirits in the Heights. Our good friends Angie and Glenn lent their house that was just down the street as a meeting place for my family and I. And they served as great cheerleaders!
Ok Doug, time to keep going :)
Taken while driving (I was the passenger) on I-10 headed to the next place to see the runners.
Still in high spirits near the Kroger on Montrose right where the the turn around point was for those doing the half-marathon.
My pal Cristina (on the left), who as I wrote earlier was completing her 15th marathon!

Now here is where the runners thinned out. Only marathoners at this point. Check out the guy running in an argyle skirt above!
The guy with the clown wig was our lookout person at each stop. Once we saw him, we knew Doug was not too far behind. I learned this tip from my pal Amaris, who is the sister to Cristina. Amaris has been following her sister to cheer her on for all her Houston Marathons, so she was a great resource that day.
Seeing a man run at his age (above) reminds me that with proper training ANYONE can do this. No excuses! Here's my happy hubby!

Another lookout person. When I saw this Texans fan coming along, I knew Doug wasn't too far behind. There were A LOT of people in Texan's gear since we were playing in the playoffs later that day.

FIRST MARATHON COMPLETE!! A congratulatory kiss from Asher...smeared with Oreos. Can you tell he was being watched by his grandparents?! :PAnd a congrats from Taj as well!

No comments: